Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why become a Research Associate?

The RA program provides valuable research experience to pre-health profession students in a clinical setting. While interacting with patients and medical staff in the Emergency Trauma Department, students gain experience with following research protocol and collecting accurate data on a variety of studies. An RA will take away valuable skills from the program that they can apply to their career in the medical field.

2. Who can become an RA?

Research Associates are usually college students that are interested in pursuing a career in the health professions.

3. How do you become an RA?

Once a potential RA fills out the application, the Recruiting Chief RA will contact him or her. A letter of endorsement is required by a health profession advisor to be accepted into the program. The potential RA will need to go through the hospital volunteer enrollment process and become CITI certified, which they will be guided through by the Recruiting Chief RA. Detailed application process instructions can be found here [hyperlink to application RA Application Process Page].

4. How much time does an RA have to commit?

It is mandatory for an RA to dedicate at least 4 hours and an overall total of at least 100 hours to research in the ETD. This can be done by volunteering more than 4 hours a week or participating in the program for more than one semester, which is 13 weeks long. Further RA Rules and Regulations can be found here.

5. How do RAs get trained for the Tobacco Cessation Study and subsequent studies?

It is mandatory for RAs to attend a weekend of orientation with the Chief RAs and Program Directors to ensure that they are ready to begin research in the ETD. RAs will then be trained on new studies when necessary.

6. Do RAs wear a uniform?

Yes, RAs wear a uniform of a NARAP polo shirt and khaki or dark slacks. The NARAP polo shirt can be purchased for $23.

7. What if an RA has a specific field of interest on research?

There are a wide variety of research studies that RAs are able to work on, which they will be informed of. RAs are also able to inquire with a Chief RA or Program Director to find a study that meets their interests and is available in the ETD.

8. Do RAs receieve compensation?

Upon completion of the program, RAs receive a letter of recommendation describing their contribution to HackensackUMC research, their performance, and the number of hours that they committed.

9. How do I get to Hackensack University Medical Center?

Directions to the Medical Center can be found here. Alternatively, you can plug in the address - 30 Prospect Ave, Hackensack, NJ - 07601, on a navigation device or website.

10. How can I sign up for shifts?

You can sign up for shifts once you have completed the application process and orientation by contacting the Personnel Chief RA at Please show up on time, and be sure to sign in and sign out at the Volnteer Services office, before and after your shift, respectively. If you have any questions about your schedule, please e-mail the Personnel Chief RA at

close (X)